Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday, May 20, 2012


Today was a pretty great day. I got up at 6am as usual and brought my laundry inside since it would dry better with the fan than in the rain. I picked up a little bit, got dressed, and took a new book outside to read while I waited for Alvaro to show up. He was supposed to come at 7 but he didn’t get to the office until almost 8. He also had his brother Omar and one of his nephews with him. We then drove to La Trinidad to pick up Milton, so we could all go fishing.

We ended up going to Jinotega, which is a different department (kinda like states). It was a two hour drive. Along the way, we stopped at the Quesarilla, which sells cheese and onions wrapped in tortillas smothered in onions and more cheese. It was pretty good. When we got to the lake, Alvaro, Milton, and one of Milton’s friends all changed into wet suits because they fish with spear guns not fishing poles. I got in the boat along with the others and off we went.

Milton “caught” quite a few tilapias, one bass, a “chorro” which is good for soup, and one guapote. Since I didn’t have a change of clothes, I wasn’t planning on swimming or anything, but about an hour into our day (we got there around 12), it started down pouring. The water was much warmer than the air was, so I got in and went swimming. I ended up helping with the fish stringer while Milton and his friend did the fishing. The sun came out at one point, and I was almost dry when it started to rain once again. I eventually gave up and got in the water again. When we were “done” for the day, I asked Milton if I could try out the spear gun. He ended up giving me his goggles, weight belt, and gun and showing me how to shoot a fish. Of the three fish I shot at, I missed all three. However, I impressed everyone with the fact that I can lay down on the bottom of the lake for over a minute. Apparently, most people only last about 40 seconds. I was up to pretty close to a minute and a half by the time I was done for the day. It was a really cool experience.

We finished just as it was getting dark. We packed everything up and headed back to the truck. Someone had an army jacket that they let me wear since I was soaking wet (it was still raining), and I didn’t have any dry clothes to wear. We drove back the two hours to San Isidro and dropped Milton off in La Trinidad. Then, Alvaro took me to the office, so I could change before he took me to his house for supper. It was about 10pm at this point. Ubania made taco meat, a tomato salad, and rice. It was pretty good. Then Alvaro brought me back to the office where I took a cold shower and went to bed.
Storm coming in on the lake
Me with some of the fish and the spear gun

No comments:

Post a Comment