Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday, May 28, 2012- The Basics of My Project

First, I would like to apologize for the spotty updating of my blog. I was without the internet this weekend and late last week. There were also some power outages. I am doing my best to keep my blog up to date and will continue to do so. I encourage anyone and everyone to comment on any posts with questions or comments. If you leave an email address, I will gladly respond.
Today, I was better able to grasp what I am going to be doing over the next few weeks. Everyone from the EOS team had a meeting this morning to plan out the week. After the meeting, I reviewed plan of work and created a list of questions for people with biodigestors. Then, after lunch, Salvador, Chris and I traveled to a nearby village to look at a couple of biodigestors. One of them was actually the first biodigestor that I had seen in Nicaragua. It is also one that I will be doing some testing on. It is perfect because the family also has a traditional wood burning stove.

The first part of my internship (about three weeks) will be spent determining the difference between a traditional wood burning stove and a stove that uses gas from a biodigester. I will do this by completing what is known as a water boiling test. This test takes approximately two and a half hours to complete because it has multiple parts. A water boiling test quantifies the energetic input of each type of stove to boil water so that the two can be compared apples to apples. The downside is that the household loses 2.5 hours of gas for the day that I am there, and I need to do the test three times for validation. However, the family was very willing to let me into their kitchen and even though I will be using most of their gas for the day. Since they have both types of stoves, I will be testing twice per week: one for each type of stove. This way, they can still use the other stove while I am doing my testing. After my testing is complete, I will be able to compile some statistics about the differences between the two types of stoves for EOS to use. It can also be used as a starting point from which improvements can be made to the biodigestor.

No comments:

Post a Comment