Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wednesday, June 6, 2012- Wood Stove Test 1


Today, I was supposed to get up at 4am with the family to do my first boiling test on the wood stove. However, I did not sleep well the night before. I actually ended up putting earplugs in around midnight just so I could get a few hours of sleep. It was a bad idea because then I couldn’t hear everyone when they got up. Therefore, I did not get up until a little before 5. I had a little prep work to do but was finally ready to light the fire around 5:20. The first “test” I did was an epic failure. My timer was at almost 45 minutes and the water was still about 30C away from boiling. When I asked Dona Polo, she laughed and told me water normally takes 15 minutes to boil on a cold stove in the morning.

At that point, I decided to call the morning a bust since I was interfering with their morning schedule. I needed more practice. However, both women assured me that I was not interfering with them, and they wanted me to try again. They also had some advice for me. They informed me that I was being too frugal with my wood usage and that I should really be breaking the wood in half. After removing all the hot coals from the stove and weighing out more wood and water, I was ready to go again.

This time the first part of the test was a success. The water only took 20 minutes to boil. However, I hit another snag when I realized how inefficient my weighing system was. I have to weigh the water and wood before and after the test. The water is obviously in a pot and after the test, is very hot. I also have to weigh the hot coals to see how much wood is consumed. I do not have an actual balance, so I am using a luggage scale. It basically has a hook on it and you hang the weight from it. I had made “baskets” for everything out of rope, but soon realized that the cheap rope was melting. Speed is really important between the three different parts and when all was said and done way too much time was spent. Then, once I finally did start part 2, it took over 40 minutes to boil the water again because the wood was a little wet from the storm from the night before.

The second test ended up being a bust also, but I learned a lot of valuable lessons from this experience.

1.       When in doubt, I just need to ask. Clearly, the women of my household really want to help me and have a lot of experience.

2.       Metal is a much better choice than plastic rope for baskets. I went out and bought wire.

3.       Practice is really important.

4.       I would NEVER want to cook with a wood burning stove. I burned my finger and inhaled copious amounts of smoke during the four hours I was testing. I can’t imagine using one for my entire lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment