Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 11 and 12, 2012- Second Failure


Monday

I double checked my calculations and got all my things together in order to prepare for my first biodigester stove test Tuesday morning.

Tuesday

Today was my second test failure but my first failure for the biodigester. I could not get the water to boil at all for my Water Boiling Test, which is integral to the test. I quickly realized that it was probably due to the type of pot I was trying to use. I was attempting to use a heavy metal pot, almost like cast iron. They are typically used for the wood stoves and are not used on gas stoves. However, I felt that it was important to have the same type of pot for both tests to ensure that they were comparable.

My host mom and grandma informed me that aluminum pots would work much better, and they could in fact be used on the wood stoves. They then spent all day looking for two pots that were nearly identical for me to use since there are two “holes” in the wood stove for pots. I decided to stay at home to help them and talk with them instead of going to the office.

I learned a lot about the biodigester and about their farm in general. For instance, they add two five gallon buckets of manure and water to the biodigester two times per week. On the same days that they add material to one end, they have to remove digested material from the other end. Since it has been digested, it is a higher quality fertilizer that will not burn plants if directly applied unlike fresh manure. However, I was saddened to see that they just dump the fertilizer in their cow pen because they do not have a family garden to apply it to.

I also was able to read my book (in Spanish), nap, and watch a movie with the family. Life in the country is pretty laid back. I have been going to bed around 8pm and getting up around 4 when they get up to start milking cows and making cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment