Thursday, June 7, 2012

Monday, June 4, 2012- My Host Family


Today was a pretty big day. We had a staff meeting this morning and went over the week’s plans. During the meeting, Alvaro mentioned that my new host family would be at the office at 10am to talk (it was 9am at the time). I was nowhere near ready to go. In fact, I had washed all my clothes and the only things that were dry were what I was wearing. Luckily, they just talked with Alvaro and left to run errands.

After the meeting, I started to get my stuff together for my first experiment. I went to the store and bought two identical pots, which were very hard to find. Then, I found the thermocouple and tape measure I would be using. I also gathered a night’s worth of stuff in case I ended up staying the night. I got on the bus to head to Sabana Larga around 3pm. It took about a half an hour to get there even though it is only 17km away.  

When I arrived, Dona Coco was waiting for me. She lives in the home with her husband, son, and mother in law. They have about 70 head of cattle, 50 chickens, and two pigs. They are pretty well off because they sell milk and fresh cheese every day in San Isidro. Since they only have two bedrooms, they made me a bedroom so I could have my own. They hung some sheets up in the living room that cordoned off about a quarter of the room. They also gave me a brand new full sized bed to sleep on. It was still in the plastic and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment